Markeaton Park is an important part of Derby history, which was sold to the Mundy family in 1516. The Mundy family gave Markeaton Park to Derby City Council in the early 20th century who now provide facilities and events throughout the year.
Behind the modern day park lays a history which can be traced back to the medieval period, when the first park was laid out. Over the following centuries the park went through many changes, from arable fields to an enclosed designed 18th century park and hall and finally at the beginning of the 20th century into the public park of today. The park has many features that mark this history: ancient veteran trees, historic lost roads, old arable field patterns, the 18th century park and buildings and the remains of a Second World War army camp.
The 207 acres of Markeaton Park has something for everyone to enjoy. It is one of the most popular parks in the East Midlands, attracting more than one million visitors each year.
Free activities include walking, cycling, the Craft Village and picnics.
The Mundy Play Centre is a great place to keep your children entertained with playgrounds, paddling pool, crazy golf, donkey rides, bouncy castle, car/bike tracks and a light railway.
Sport and leisure activities include pitch and putt, rowing boats and pedalos, fishing and court activities.
Discover all this at Markeaton Park:
- Footgolf - A combination of the best of football and golf played on part of the pitch and putt course using regular football.
- Skyline High Ropes - Take on the newly improved Skyline at Markeaton high ropes adventure! BOOK ONLINE NOW
- Craft Village - Wander around our re-vamped Craft Village full of local crafters selling unique range of products and pop into our new Visitor reception and Information Room.
- Orangery Cafe - Enjoy tea, cake and lots more at our newly re-furbished Orangery Cafe, overlooking the park's formal gardens.
- Tennis - Book your court now on the InDerby website.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO FOLLOW SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES AT ALL TIMES WHEN VISITING OUR PARKS