Chester Green

Little Chester is a suburb of Derby with an area of open parkland (Chester Green) at its centre. Chester Green was first referred to by name in written records dating back to 1495, and has been a public park since 1866. In recent times the whole area has come to be known as Chester Green.

The area is the oldest inhabited part of Derby, having been the location of a fortified Roman settlement called Derventio but may have been inhabited before the Romans arrived. Some of its thoroughfares are almost 2,000 years old

Chester Green is within easy walking distance of Derby City Centre, located approximately 0.6 miles (0.97 km) north of the city centre, on the east bank of the River Derwent. More green space lies nearby including Derby Racecourse.

Information relating to Coronavirus.

Please note that due to the Coronavirus pandemic and in line with the latest government advice regarding social distancing, venues and attractions are currently closed and events cancelled or postponed. We will be constantly updating the website and will keep people informed of any changes via social media. We urge visitors to follow Public Health England Guidance regarding Coronavirus.