St Werburgh's Chapel

Contact details

Image for St Werburgh's Chapel
St Werburgh's Chapel

View on map

0791 2388985 Visit website


Come and see St Werburgh’s Chapel, built in 1699, an important reminder of Derby’s history from the 18th century to the present day.

It’s where the famous writer Dr Samuel Johnson married Elizabeth Porter in 1735.  Don’t miss the splendid reredos, a fine Robert Bakewell wrought iron font cover and an intricately carved oak screen, which all date from earlier that century. 

The Chapel’s also home to many fine Victorian features and furnishings, including stained glass windows and patterned, tiled floors.

Local families and individuals are commemorated on an unusually large number of memorials and wall monuments, dating from 1626.

Cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust.

Open most Saturdays 10.30am – 3.30pm. Key available from the Museum opposite at other times.

Recently viewed