Little Chester is a suburb of Derby with an area of open parkland (Chester Green) at its centre. Chester Green was first referred to by name in written records dating back to 1495, and has been a public park since 1866. In recent times the whole area has come to be known as Chester Green.
The area is the oldest inhabited part of Derby, having been the location of a fortified Roman settlement called Derventio but may have been inhabited before the Romans arrived. Some of its thoroughfares are almost 2,000 years old
Chester Green is within easy walking distance of Derby City Centre, located approximately 0.6 miles (0.97 km) north of the city centre, on the east bank of the River Derwent. More green space lies nearby including Derby Racecourse.